Assignment of Benefits
Always read the fine print before you sign on the dotted line! An Assignment of Benefits Agreement is sometimes provided by contractors that specialize in home repair and restoration, as well as roofers and plumbers.
Before signing any document that includes Assignment of Benefits language, please read carefully and contact your insurance agent or Florida Specialty Insurance Company. Also referred to as an “AOB,” the agreement authorizes the contractor to act on your behalf and may allow the contractor to receive funds directly from your insurance company. By signing an Assignment of Benefits document, you may be signing away your rights.
WHEN WORKING WITH A CONTRACTOR
The National Insurance Crime Bureau (NICB) offers these recommendations:
- Work only with licensed and insured contractors
- Ask for references, and check them out
- Get more than one estimate
- Don’t be pushed into signing a contract right away
- Get everything in writing before repairs commence
- Until the work is completed to your satisfaction, do not pay a contractor in full or sign a completion certificate